Fried Pumpkin Puffs
* 2 tbsp solid shortening
* 1 1/4 C sugar
* 2 large eggs, beaten
* 1 C pumpkin puree
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 3 C all purpose flour
* 3 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 1 C of milk
1. In a large mixing bowl put the shortening and sugar.
2. With an electric mixer on medium speed cream the above together until smooth.
3. Mix in the eggs just until incorporated into the batter.
4. The pumpkin puree and vanilla are added and mixed in well.
5. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt in a separate mixing bowl.
6. Stir in the cinnamon and nutmeg.
7. Add a little of the flour mixture and then a little of the milk and mix slightly after each addition do this until all is mixed in.
8. Chill covered in the refrigerator for at least 60 minutes.
9. After chilling roll the dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4 in thick.
10. Dust a cookie cutter with flour to cut out the puffs.
11. Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 365 degrees.
12. Drop the puffs 2 at a time into the fryer and fry until a light golden brown.
13. Drain the puffs on paper towels.
These little pumpkin puffs are a perfect little appetizer or snack. You can serve a little flavored spreadable cream cheese alongside for a little extra pizazz.