Fruit and Bran Snack Bars
* 1/2 C whole wheat flour
* 1 1/2 C rolled oats
* 1/2 C wheat bran
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 C packed brown sugar
* 1/2 C dried cranberries
* 1/2 C dried apricots
* 1 C soft tofu
* 1/2 C unsweetened applesauce
* 1/2 C peanut butter
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preset the oven to 350 degrees allowing the oven to heat.
2. In a large mixing bowl put the flour, oats and bran.
3. Toss in the cinnamon, salt and brown sugar until blended together well.
4. Mix in the cranberries and apricots until well blended.
5. Combine the tofu and applesauce in a small bowl.
6. Mix the peanut butter into the mixture with a rubber spatula.
7. Add the vanilla, blending it in well.
8. Transfer the applesauce mixture to the dry mixture and blend until moistened.
9. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
10. Spread the mixture evenly over the parchment paper.
11. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
12. Remove the pan from the oven and cool just enough to handle.
13. Cut into small snack bars.
14. Place the bars on a cookie sheet.
15. Return to the oven for 14 minutes or until golden brown.
16. Cool completely on a wire rack.
17. Separate into individual bars and store in airtight container in the fridge.
This recipe is good and healthy, although they actually taste like a cookie or dessert bar. I do recommend keeping them in the refrigerator just because the oils in the fruits may become rancid at room temperature if left too long. Fact is, they usually don't stay around my house long enough for that to matter! This makes a large batch so they are a good choice if you have to bring a treat for school.