1. If you're using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes.
2. Rinse scallops under cold water (remove any small muscle on the side of the scallop), then gently pat dry.
3. In a large glass bowl, mix together salt, garlic, oil, and cornstarch.
4. Add the scallops to this mixture in bowl and toss to combine well.
5. Divide scallops evenly between skewers.
6. Lightly oil the grill grate and heat grill to medium-high.
7. Place scallops on the grill for 1 to 2 minutes, just until grill marks form and scallops start to brown. Then turn the scallops and grill the other side for an additional 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Remove and serve immediately alongside salad or with dipping sauce.
Spritz lemon juice on the scallops when you take them off the grill and they are still warm. This brightens up the flavor very nicely.
The simplicity of the marinade lets the flavor of the scallops shine through. Enjoy the grilled scallops on a crisp mixed green salad for a healthy meal. Or, for a more filling meal, serve the scallops over hot, buttered fettuccine pasta with fresh shredded Parmesan cheese.