Ginger and Spice Molasses Muffins
* 1 C boiling water
* 2 tsp baking soda
* 1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
* 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
* 2 tsp ginger
* 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ground cloves
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 1/4 canola oil
* 1/4 C light cream cheese
* 1/2 C brown sugar, firmly packed
* 1/4 C molasses
* 1/4 C egg substitute (or substitute 1 egg)
* Powdered sugar
1. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees and allow the oven to preheat.
2. Line each muffin tin cup with a paper lining and set aside.
3. Carefully pour the boiling water into a large bowl.
4. Add the baking soda and stir until the soda has completely dissolved.
5. In a separate bowl sift together the 2 kinds of flour.
6. Add in the ginger and other spices and the salt.
7. Mix to integrate all the ingredients together.
8. In another bowl, cream together with an electric mixer the oil, cream cheese and brown sugar.
9. Slowly add the molasses while beating with the mixer on low speed.
10. Add the baking soda mixture to the flour mixture and beat on low speed until well blended.
11. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.
12. Add in the egg substitute and continue beating on low speed until all the ingredients are integrated together.
13. Fill each paper muffin cup with the prepared batter.
14. Bake 16-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These muffins have all the aromas of a Thanksgiving morning. And just like Thanksgiving, when you put a little extra time into creating something wonderful for your family, these muffins take a little extra effort. Make them soon for someone special, no matter what the occasion!