Winter Beef Stew
(Good Ole Winter Stew)
*3/4 tsp coarse salt, divided
*1/2 tsp pepper, divided
*1 lb boneless flank steak, cit into small chunks
*1/4 C all purpose flour
*3 tsp olive oil, divided
*1 1/2 C coarsely chopped red onion
*8 oz pkg sliced white mushrooms
*3 C beef broth
*4 tsp tomato paste
*3-4 large thyme sprigs
*1 large bay leaf
*1 lb baby white potatoes, unpeeled, cut in quarters
*8 oz pkg baby carrots
*4 tsp finely chopped parsley
1. Place 2 tsp oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat.
2. Place flour, 1/2 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper in a large storage bag.
3. Shake well to mix dry ingredients together.
4. Add flank steak pieces to the bag.
5.C lose and shake to cover meat on all sides.
6. Add meat to hot oil.
7. Brown all sides of the meat.
8. Remove meat from oil and drain.
9. Place onions and mushrooms to hot oil.
10. Cook 5 minutes or until onion become translucent.
11. Add broth, tomato paste, and the rest of the salt and pepper to onion and mushrooms.
12. Use a wire whisk and whisk all ingredients together.
13. Bring mixture to a boil over medium high heat.
14. Just as mixture starts to boil add the bay leaf and thyme.
15. Continue boiling mixture to a rapid boil.
16. Carefully place potatoes, carrots and meat to the liquid.
17. Reduce heat to medium and cover pan.
18. Simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are as tender as you like.
19. Remove the bay leaf and thyme before serving.