Grandmas Molasses Breakfast Muffins
* 2 eggs
* 1/2 C sugar
* 1/4 C molasses
* 1 1/2 C buttermilk
* 1/4 C canola oil
* 1 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1 tsp. salt
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
* 2 1/2 C bran
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Prepare a muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray or paper muffin cups.
3. Place the eggs in a large mixing bowl and beat slightly.
4. Add the sugar into the eggs.
5. Pour the molasses and buttermilk into the egg mixture together.
6. Beat carefully on low speed with an electric mixer until all the ingredients are incorporated together.
7. Add the flour to the egg mixture.
8. Sprinkle in the salt and baking soda.
9. Using a rubber spatula, mix until all of the dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
10. Fold in the bran with the rubber spatula.
11. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full of the batter.
12. Bake 16 - 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
My Grandma and Mom always had molasses in the cupboard because it's full of iron and tastes good. Before everything we ate was "fortified with iron", we had to find iron in our whole foods. We would pour molasses right on a slice of bread and eat it like that. Molasses has a really strong flavor and doesn't suit everyone. This muffin has just the right amount for sweetness and "zing" and has the bran we need too! It's a great on-the-go-breakfast, so I keep some on hand all the time!