Granny's Down Home Stew
* 3 slices bacon
* 1 lb. lean stew meat
* 1 (16 oz.) can diced tomatoes
* 2 C. beef broth or bouillon
* 1 C. water
* 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
* 2 celery stalks, sliced
* 2 medium onions, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 tsp. chili powder
* 1 TBSP flour
* Salt to taste
* Pepper to taste
* 4 medium carrots, diced
* 4 small potatoes, cubed
1. Place a soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add the back on fry until crisp.
3. Drain the bacon on a piece of paper towel.
4. Reserve the bacon grease in the stew pot.
5. Place the stew meat in the soup pot.
6. Fry the meat until browned on all sides.
7. Place the heat on low.
8. Add the tomatoes, beef broth, water and Worcestershire sauce.
9. Mix together.
10. Add the celery, onion and chili powder stirring to combine.
11. Cover and cook on low 1 1/2 hour or until meat is fork tender.
12. Add the salt, pepper, carrots and potatoes.
13. Remove 1/3 C of the broth and set aside to cool.
14. Cover the stew and continue to cook while making the thickening.
15. Add the flour to the cooled broth and stir until smooth.
16. Pour the mixture into the pot and stir to incorporate.
17. Add the bacon and recover the pot.
18. Cook an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are all fork tender.