Green Bean Casserole with Mushroom & Bacon
* 1 (1 lb) pkg. of bacon
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 1 (8 oz.) pkg. fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans cream of mushroom soup with roasted garlic
* 1 1/4 C milk
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 2 (16 oz.) bags frozen French cut green beans, thawed and drained
* 2 2/3 C French fried onions
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat cook the bacon until very crispy.
2. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
3. Stir the olive oil into the bacon drippings.
4. Add the garlic and mushrooms and stir slightly to cover the mushrooms.
5. Cook until the mushrooms begins to soften about 6 minutes.
6. Carefully drain off any liquid and set the pan aside to slightly cool.
7. Whisk the soup, milk and pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
8. Fold in the green beans and 2 C of the fried onions.
9. Stir the mushroom mixture into the mixture until blended in well.
10. Lightly spray a casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
11. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
12. Spread the green bean mixture evenly into the prepared casserole dish.
13. Bake the casserole 35 minutes.
14. Take the casserole from the oven and stir well.
15. In a large mixing bowl crumble the bacon.
16. Stir in the remaining fried onions and mix well.
17. Spread the bacon mixture over the top of the casserole.
18. Put back in oven and bake 7 minutes or until the fried onions begin to brown.
Most of us recognize the famous Green Bean Casserole that appears on Holiday tables all over, and many of us have tweaked the recipe a little to call the dish our own. Adding mushrooms was my idea, but adding the bacon was my husband's idea. For a bacon lovin' man, this traditional side dish just got a whole lot better!