* 2 Tbsp mayonnaise
* 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
* 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
* 1 small eggplant, cut into eight 1/2 inch thick slices
* 1/2 tsp garlic salt
* 8 slices hearty bread
* 8 thin slices fresh mozzarella cheese
* 1/3 cup jarred sliced roasted red peppers
* 4 thin slices sweet onion
1. Set your grill to medium-high heat and allow to preheat.
2. Put mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl and mix to blend.
3. Brush 1 tablespoon oil on both sides of eggplant and sprinkle with garlic salt.
4. Brush remaining 1 tablespoon oil on one side of each slice of bread.
5. Put the eggplant on grill and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, flip, then top with mozzarella cheese; continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is cooked, about 3 to 4 minutes more.
6. Add the bread slices to the grill and toast on both sides, about 1 or 2 minutes per side.
7. To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on just four slices of the toasted bread.
8. Put a cheesy eggplant slice, red peppers, and onions on, then top with remaining bread slices. Serve warm right off the grill.