1. Start by cooking the sausage in a skillet over medium high heat, stirring often, until sausage crumbles and browns; set aside.
2. Heat grill to medium and set whole poblano peppers on grates and grill, turning several times as they cook until they are charred all over.
3. Remove poblanos from grill and put in a heat-resistant bowl, then cover tightly with plastic food wrap. Let poblanos stand for about 5 minutes to loosen the skin. Then remove the poblanos from the bowl and carefully peel off the charred skin and set the poblanos on a work surface.
4. Carefully cut a small slit lengthwise into each pepper, making sure you don't cut through the poblano and leave the top with the stem intact. This forms a pocket.
5. Carefully scoop out the seeds from inside the poblanos.
6. In the skillet with the cooked sausage, add the rice, black beans, and cheese and stir to combine.
Spoon this mixture into poblanos, distributing evenly.
7. Arrange peppers on a grilling pan. You can cover it in aluminum foil if you wish.
8. Put pan on grill over medium to medium high heat, cover the grill, and cook for about 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
9. Remove poblanos to plates and top with salsa and sour cream to serve if desired.
Makes 6 individual servings.