* 1 tbsp canola oil
* 1 tbsp minced onion
* 1 minced garlic clove
* 1/2 cup water
* 3/4 cup chopped guava paste
* 1 tbsp ketchup
* 1 tsp cayenne pepper
* 1 tbsp soy sauce
* Salt, to taste
* Two 3/4-pound pork tenderloins
* 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
* 1/4 cup diced sweet onion
* 2 tbsp chopped chives
* 2 jalapeños, minced
* 1 garlic clove, finely minced
* salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan, then add onion, cooking over medium heat just until onions are softened; add garlic and reduce heat to low.
2. Add water and guava paste and continue cooking and stirring until paste dissolves; about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in ketchup, cayenne, soy sauce until smooth, then salt to taste.
4. Set pork tenderloins in a glass baking dish and brush with half the guava glaze and let sit for 15 minutes.
5. Heat an indoor or outdoor grill pan and grill tenderloins about 15 to 20 minutes, turning and brushing with remaining glaze until brown on all sides and cooked through.
6. Transfer pork to a platter, cover with foil loosely and let stand for 10 minutes.
7. Prepare salsa by mixing cilantro, oil, vinegar, onion, chives, jalapeños, and garlic in a bowl, then season with salt if necessary.
8. Slice pork thinly and garnish with cilantro salsa. Serves four.
Pork tenderloin can be dressed up in so many ways. This is certainly a fancy meal that is perfect for impressing guests around your table. If you've been cooking pork tenderloin the same way over and over again, it's time to try this recipe.
Guava paste isn't hard to find. If your local grocery store doesn't carry it, Amazon.com does. Buy a big enough supply because once you try it on this recipe, you'll be looking for all sorts of other ways to cook with guava.