Ham and Cheese Stuffing
* 1 box Manicotti pasta shells
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 C olive oil
* 3 C cooked ham, chopped
* 1 C Parmesan cheese, grated and divided
* 6 TBSP butter
* 6 TBSP all purpose flour
* 3 C milk
* 2 C Swiss cheese, shredded
* Freezer wrap
1. Make the pasta as directed on the package.
2. Drain well and set aside to cool.
3. Pour the oil into a large skillet and place over medium heat.
4. Allow oil to heat slightly making sure it doesn’t smoke.
5. Place the onion and garlic into the hot oil.
6. Saute 5 minutes or until tender.
7. Add the ham and mix together well.
8. Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 C of the Parmesan cheese.
9. set aside to cool.
10. In a sauce pan over medium high heat cook the butter until it becomes frothy.
11. Gradually stir in the flour mixing well.
12. Cook until the mixture begins to bubble about 2 minutes.
13. Stir continuously so that the flour doesn’t burn during heating.
14. Pour in the milk and continue cooking until mixture thickens being sure to stir continuously during cooking.
15. Remove from heat and add the Swiss cheese.
16. Stir until the mixture becomes very smooth.
17. Add 1/3 of the cheese sauce to the ham and stir well to cover.
18. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
19. Spread enough of the cheese mixture into the bottom of a large baking dish to just cover.
20. Fill each pasta shell 2/3 full of the ham mixture and place in the baking dish.
21. Cover the shells with the remaining cheese sauce.
22. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
23. Bake 55 minutes.
24. To freeze place the shells in the refrigerator after pouring the cheese sauce over the top.
25. When the casserole becomes cool, about 1 hour, wrap tightly with freezer wrap and place in the freezer.
26. Casserole will stay fresh for up to 2 months.
27. To cook remove freezer and allow to thaw completely.
28. Sprinkle the top with 1/2 C Parmesan cheese.
29. Bake as directed above baking until completely heated through.