*8 oz. turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing chopped small
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1/4 cup chopped green onions
* 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
* 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 5 eggs, whole
* 3 egg whites
* 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees (with rack in center of oven.) Spray or oil a mini-muffin tin (12 cups).
2. Put a large skillet on stovetop burner on medium-high heat; add sausage and cook stirring until golden brown; remove sausage to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add the olive oil to the skillet on medium-high heat, and add mushrooms, cooking and stirring until mushrooms have softened and are slightly browned; remove mushrooms to the same bowl with the sausage and let cool slightly.
4. To the bowl, add the green onions, Swiss cheese, and black pepper.
5. In a separate bowl, add the eggs, egg whites, and milk and whisk together.
6. Pour even amounts of this egg mixture to the muffin cups.
7. Add a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup on top of the egg mixture.
8. Put muffin tin in oven and bake until the tops are beginning to get golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool in the tin on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
10. Flip muffins out by placing another cooling rack on top of the cooled muffins in the tins, then flipping it upside down and urging the muffins out. Turn the muffins over so they're standing up and let them cool to room temperature.
Makes 1 dozen mini quiches, perfect for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or a light dinner.
You can tweak this recipe a lot to meet your specific nutritional or diet needs. Replace the whole eggs with egg whites, use low fat cheese or milk, or add/subtract the amount of turkey sausage. You can even use all vegetables.
You can add a bit more cheese than the recipe calls for. Parmesan works great because it adds so much flavor. Enjoy!