Hearty Brown Lentils & Veggies
* 1 C of brown lentils
* 1 C carrots, diced
* 1 C red onions, diced
* 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* 2 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 Tbsp lemon juice
* 1/2 C celery stalks, diced tiny
* 1/4 C fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp pepper
1. Place the lentils into a large sauce pan.
2. Add the carrots, onion, garlic, thyme and bay leaf to the pan.
3. Place just enough water in the pan to cover.
4. Place the pan over high heat.
5. Bring the water to a quick boil.
6. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 18 minutes or until the lentils are tender but not mushy.
7. Drain the mixture well, remove the bay leaf and place the mixture into a mixing bowl.
8. Pour the lemon juice into the mixture.
9. Add the celery and stir until well combined.
10. Sprinkle in the parsley, salt and pepper and stir until well combined.
Lentils are an economical way to fill out your family's dinner table with nutritious food. If you're ready to try lentils in something other than Lentil Soup, this is a good first attempt. Loaded with vegetables, this dish is bright, delicious, and the crunchy celery adds a lot of great texture. This lentil dish may even convince your skeptics to give lentils one more try!