Herbed Pork In Mustard Fennel Sauce
* 6 Tbsp olive oil
* 2 onions, sliced
* 2 fennel bulbs, sliced
* 2 1/2 lbs. lean pork cut into cubes
* 3 garlic cloves, minced
* 2/3 Cup of dry white wine
* 2 Tbsp coarse ground mustard
* 1 tsp paprika
* 1 Tbsp fresh sage leaves, chopped
* 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
* 2 Tbsp flour
* 3 Cups of milk
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* cooked rice or pasta for serving
1. Pour the olive oil into a large pan over medium heat then stir in the onions and fennel, cook for 5 minutes or until just beginning to soften.
2. Add the pork pieces and cook 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
3. Add the garlic, stirring and cooking for 1 minute.
4. Add the wine and mustard, stirring to blend in well. Let the mixture simmer gently for 3 minutes.
5. Add the paprika, sage, rosemary, and flour, stirring well.
6. Pour in the milk and season with the salt and pepper, stir and cook for 5 minutes longer. Can serve over a bed of rice or pasta or alongside a green salad.
Makes 8 servings
This dish is delicious all by itself or served on top of brown rice or wide egg noodles. You can increase the sauce by adding a touch more wine and/or milk.
If you've never cooked with fennel before, this is a good recipe to try. There are a lot of complimentary flavors that work perfectly together. The sage and rosemary especially add a nice balance to the fennel.
This dish also freezes very well. Seal tightly in ziploc freezer bags or containers and keep frozen for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in refrigerator, then put in shallow saucepan or skillet and heat slowly on low burner, stirring often, until just heated - do not allow to boil.