Honey Plum Sweet Potato Casserole
* 6 medium size sweet potatoes
* 1 (16 ounce) can of plums, remove pits
* 3/4 C honey
* 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 fluid ounce prune juice
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 1/4 C margarine, melted
1. Set the oven temperature to preheat to 425 degrees.
2. With a fork poke the sweet potatoes all the way around and put on a cookie sheet covered in tin foil. Bake for about 55 to 60 minutes or until fork tender.
3. Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees.
4. Set the sweet potatoes aside to cool to room temperature.
5. When the potatoes are cool peel and cut into 1/2 inch slices.
6. Place the honey, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl.
7. Carefully stir in the prune and lemon juice.
8. Pour the melted butter into the bowl and blend all the ingredients together well.
9. Lay half of the plums into the bottom of a lightly greased casserole dish.
10. Lay half of the potato slices over the plums.
11. Pour half of the honey mixture over the top.
12. Continue with another layer ending with the honey mixture.
13. Place in the oven for 40 minute, basting with the cooking juices occasionally, until heated through.
If you're used to making a sweet potato casserole with brown sugar and marshmallows, you are really in for a surprise. The plums and honey give this dish a very different taste - almost a little tangy flavor. The colors are pretty, too. You may not want to give up your traditional sweet potato casserole dish, but why not try this one just for fun.