Hot and Spicy Chicken Drummers
* 1 C hot spicy salsa
* 1/4 C orange juice
* 1 tbsp lime juice
* 1 tbsp Italian Parsley
* 1 tbsp light brown sugar
* 1 tbsp olive oil + extra for brushing meat
* 1 tsp orange zest, grated
* 1 tsp oregano
* 1/4 tsp ground cumin
* 1/4 tsp pepper
* 4 (8 oz) chicken legs
1. In a food processor place the salsa, orange and lemon juice.
2. Add the parsley, brown sugar, olive oil, orange zest, oregano, cumin and pepper.
3. Process well until the mixture becomes smooth.
4. In a shallow glass container put the chicken legs.
5. Pour the salsa mixture over the chicken legs and turn the legs to coat.
6. Refrigerate covered for at least 4 hours turning the legs over every hour or so.
7. Remove the chicken legs from the marinade and brush with the extra olive oil.
8. In a saucepan bring the marinade to a rapid boil and cook 1 minute.
9. Set the grill temperature to medium high.
10. Place the legs over direct heat and grill 10 minutes turning once.
11. Move the chicken over indirect heat and continue cooking 40 minutes or until the juices run clear.
12. Baste the chicken with the extra marinade during the last 15 minutes of grilling.
By the middle of the summer months, we run out of ideas for grilling. That's when we pull out all the stops with marinades. These chicken drumsticks are a good way to kick up the interest in grilling a notch or two. We can only eat barbecue sauce for so long before we've got to have a change.
You may want to try grilling chicken thighs instead of legs to save a little money. Thighs are an inexpensive alternative, nutritious, and delicious. Anything you choose, this is a fabulous marinade to use.