1. Peel bottle gourd, scoop seeds out, then dice bottle gourd into small cubes.
2. In large heavy skillet or wok, heat oil until hot. Stir in the jeera quickly, then add the onion, turmeric, and chili powder, and quickly stir until onion starts to become translucent.
3. Stir in the tomato and cook until tomatoes are hot and start to shrivel.
4. Add the bottle gourd to the hot skillet and stir quickly and constantly with skillet on high heat for 1 minute.
5. Reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and cook mixture slowly for about 15 minutes, or until bottle gourd is soft.
6. Shut off heat and stir in the garam masala and salt to taste. Serve hot.
Bottle gourd is a staple in Indian cooking. If you haven't tried it yet, this is a perfect example of how varied you can cook with it.
The secret is always in the spices. Bottle gourd basically takes on the flavor of whatever you spice it with. So, be creative and enjoy!