1. Combine the sugar, butter, salt, cocoa and milk together in a large saucepan.
2. Place the saucepan over medium heat.
3. Allow the mixture to come to a full boil being sure to stir continuously.
4. Once boiling well cook for 1 minute still stirring.
5. Remove saucepan from the heat.
6. Stir in the oatmeal.
7. Add the coconut and vanilla.
8. Stir well.
9. Fold in the nuts.
10. Lay out a piece of wax paper on the counter or table.
11. Use a teaspoon to gather the dough.
12. Drop it onto the wax paper.
13. Continue until all the dough has been used.
14. Allow to cool until the cookies become firm.