* 2 1/2 cups uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
* 5 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 tsp kosher salt
* 1/3 cup fresh chives, chopped fine
* 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped fine
* 1 cup kale, stems removed and leaves chopped fine
* 1 white onion, chopped fine
* 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped fine
* 1 tsp cumin
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 cup whole grain bread crumbs
* water or a bit of flour, as needed
* 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine two cups uncooked quinoa with 3 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until quinoa is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork, and allow to cool slightly.
3. In large bowl, stir together eggs, salt, and quinoa, then add the kale, onion, garlic, chives, cumin, and dill and toss together.
4. Stir in bread crumbs and baking powder, then let the mixture sit for a few minutes to allow bread crumbs to absorb some of the moisture.
5. Gently stir in feta cheese. Mixture should easily form into twelve 1-inch thick patties. Add additional bread crumbs or a tablespoon of flour at a time to firm up mixture, if necessary.
6. Use cooking spray to generously coat a baking sheet, and arrange patties evenly to allow space for cooking.
7. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until the bottoms are brown.
8. Gently flip each patty and bake an additional 5 minutes, or until browned nicely.
Quinoa is loaded with protein, so these little patties are not only good, but they're good for you. The addition of kale also bumps up the nutrition.
I like adding feta cheese but another option is bleu cheese. But, really any cheese will do. Enjoy!