Kickin' Pumpkin Cake
* 2 1/2 C cake flour
* 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp ginger, ground
* 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
* 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
* 1/2 tsp cardamom, ground
* 1 C unsalted butter, room temperature
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 2 C brown sugar, packed
* 4 eggs, room temperature
* 1 C pumpkin puree
* 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously coat a 10 in. tube pan with a non stick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom.
3. In a separate large mixing bowl put the butter and beat with an electric mixer until creamy.
4. Add the brown sugar, 1/2 cup at a time beating well after each addition.
5. Add the vanilla and continue beating for 2 minutes.
6. Separate the eggs (yolks and white separate) and place in two separate bowls.
7. Slightly beat the egg yolks then add to the butter mixture beating until combined.
8. Beat in the pumpkin puree until smooth.
9. Beat in 1/3 of the flour at a time beating after each addition just until moist.
10. Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and using low speed beat until soft peaks begin to form when the beaters are lifted out of the egg whites.
11. Add the egg white mixture to the pumpkin batter and blend in well.
12. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
13. Bake in a 350 degree oven 40 minutes or until the top springs back when touched lightly with a finger.
14. Cool the cake to room temperature before cutting.
The 'kick' in this pumpkin cake comes from all the great spices; ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and the cardamom.
The moist texture and yummy flavor also comes from all the preparation. So, don't let the steps in this recipe scare you. It goes pretty fast and the finished product is worth your time.