* 1 large head cabbage, shredded (about 12 cups)
* 1 onion, chopped
* 6 Tbsp butter, divided
* 1 can (10 oz size) cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
* 8 ounces process cheese (American style, or Velveeta), cubed
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Put cabbage in a large pot and fill about 1/4 full with fresh water; put over medium high heat and bring to a boil, cooking until cabbage is just tender, then drain thoroughly.
3. In a large skillet, add 5 tablespoons of the butter and the onions; cook over medium heat until onions are soft, then stir in the soup, add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts; remove from heat.
4. Add the cooked cabbage, salt, and pepper, tossing to combine.
5. Turn out into a large casserole dish.
6. In a small pot or skillet, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and stir in the bread crumbs; sprinkle this mixture over the cabbage in casserole.
7. Bake, uncovered, in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 to 35 minutes or until top gets browned and casserole is hot all the way through. This makes about 6 to 8 servings as a side dish.