Lazy Afternoon Chocolate Coffee Cake Muffins
* 2 C all purpose flour
* 3/4 C sugar
* 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 C skim milk
* 2 TBSP instant coffee
* 1/4 C canola oil + 2 TBSP canola oil
* 2 egg whites
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1/2 C miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. Prepare a muffin tin by spraying each cup with a non stick cooking spray or lining each cup with a paper baking cup.
2. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
3. Sift the flour, sugar and baking powder together in a mixing bowl.
4. Toss a couple of times to be sure all the ingredients are mixed together.
5. Add the cinnamon and salt and toss well to incorporate.
6. Pour the milk into a separate bowl.
7. Sprinkle in the instant coffee and stir until all the coffee granules have dissolved.
8. Pour in all the oil.
9. Add the egg whites and vanilla.
10. Whisk the ingredients together making sure everything is mixed in well.
11. Add the liquid mixture to the dry mixture.
12. Use a rubber spatula and mix all the ingredients together just until the dry ingredients are moistened through.
13. Carefully fold in the chocolate chips being sure they are completely covered in the batter.
14. Fill the muffin cups. (Allow a little room for expansion.)
15. Bake the muffins 15 - 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
16. Allow the muffins to cool slightly then sit back and enjoy.
This recipe looks at first glance to be complicated. It's really not. After you make them the first time you'll see how easy they really are...and how wonderfully delicious. They're really more of a desert! Enjoy!