Lucky Cloverleaf Biscuits
* 1 3/4 C warm water, around 110 degrees, use a thermometer to check
* 2 pkgs. active dry yeast
* 1/2 C sugar
* 1 TBSP salt
* 1 egg
* 1/4 C butter or margarine, at room temperature
* 6 C sifted all purpose flour
* 1 TBSP butter or margarine, melted
1. Pour the warm water into a bowl that has been rinsed on the inside with warm water.
2. Sprinkle in the yeast, sugar and the salt.
3. Mix until all the ingredients are completely dissolved in the warm water.
4. Add the egg and mix slightly.
5. Mix in the butter and 3 C of the flour.
6. Use an electric mixer on medium speed and beat the mixture until very smooth.
7. Add 1 more C of the flour and beat again for 2 minutes.
8. Add the remaining 2 C of flour.
9. Using your hands work the last addition of flour into the mixture until completely moistened.
10. The dough should be smooth and have an elastic consistency.
11. Use a pastry brush and brush the top of the dough with some of the melted butter.
12. Use a damp kitchen towel and cover the top of the bowl.
13. Place the dough in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
14. At this point the dough should be doubled in size.
15. Use your fist to punch the dough back down.
16. Recover the dough and place it back into the refrigerator.
17. The dough can remain in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
18. Remember to keep the dough covered and once a day to punch the dough down until ready to use.
19. When ready to make the biscuits remove 1/3 of the dough from the bowl.
20. Lightly flour a flat surface.
21. Divide the dough in half and roll each half into a 16 in rope.
22. Cut each of the rope pieces into 18 equal size pieces.
23. Roll each piece in the palm of your hands into a ball.
24. Spray a muffin tin with a non stick cooking spray.
25. Place 3 balls into each cup of the muffin tin.
26. Cover the muffin tin with a damp kitchen towel and place in a warm area of the kitchen.
27. Let the dough rise again until itís doubled in size, about 1 hour.
28. Heat the oven to 275 degrees.
29. Uncover the rolls and bake for 20 minutes.
30. Remove the rolls and let them cool to room temperature.
31. Wrap each roll securely in freezer wrap.
32. Freeze for up to 12 months.
33. To use unwrap the rolls and place them on an ungreased baking sheet.
34. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
35. Bake 8 minutes or until a golden brown.