1. In heavy skillet, heat enough oil to come up to 2 inches, bringing heat up to 375 degrees on deep-fry thermometer.
2. While heating, put cream, egg, and vanilla in bowl and whisk together. In separate bowl, stir together the flour, cornmeal, and sugar.
3. Add cream/egg mixture to flour/cornmeal mixture and mix together until just combined. Fold blueberries carefully into batter.
4. Drop batter carefully, about a heaping tablespoon at a time, into hot oil. Do not crowd skillet; drop only a few at a time.
5. Allow to fry in oil until golden brown, turning once, then removing as each fritter browns fully.
6. Put hot fritters on paper towels on rack to drain; sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm if desired.
These are great crunchy, sweet treats that are good and actually quite good for you, too. They're loaded with blueberries, so you've got all the health benefits of these nutritious berries in a great snack.
You can cut down on the sugar a bit, even replacing some with honey if you choose. If you use honey, cut back on the cream a bit, also, so your batter doesn't get too runny. Enjoy!