Merry Cherry Muffins
* 1 C sugar
* 1/2 C margarine
* 3 egg whites
* 1 1/4 C all purpose flour
* 1/2 C soy flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/4 tsp salt
* 1 TBSP and 1 tsp almond extract
* 3/4 C skim milk
* 1 tsp vanilla
* 1 bag (3.5 oz) dried cherries
1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray a muffin tin with a non stick cooking spray or use paper liners.
3. Cream the sugar and margarine together with an electric mixer on low speed.
4. Add the egg whites and continue beating on low speed until fluffily.
5. In a different bowl sift the all purpose flour and soy flour together.
6. Add the baking powder, baking soda and the salt.
7. With a rubber spatula toss the dry ingredients to combine.
8. Place 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture and add the almond extract.
9. Stir well to combine the ingredients.
10. Place another 1/3 of the flour mixture into the egg mixture.
11. Pour in the skim milk and stir to combine.
12. Add the remaining flour mixture to the egg mixture.
13. Place the vanilla extract into the mixture and stir once more to combine all the ingredients, making sure all the dry ingredients are moistened well.
14. Fold in the cherries with a rubber spatula.
15. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full of the prepared batter.
16. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a nice golden brown on top and muffin bounces back easily when touch carefully with a finger tip.
Yippee! I can finally make something else with those dried cherries I keep buying. There are usually a half dozen bags of dried cherries in my cupboard because I like to snack on them. My family is going to love to see these on the table for breakfast!