* 2 cups water
* 1 1/4 cups quinoa, well rinsed
* 1/8 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp chili powder
* 3/4 cup mild chunky salsa
* 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
* 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
* 6 green leaf lettuce leaves, torn
* 1/2 large chopped sweet onion
* 1 large tomato, diced
1. In a medium saucepan, bring two cups water to a boil, then stir in quinoa.
2. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
3. Add salt, black pepper, chili powder, 1/4 cup salsa, corn, and beans.
4. Return mixture to a boil, then cover and cook 5 more minutes, until quinoa is just tender.
5. Stir in oil, 1/4 cup salsa, and cilantro. Simmer until thickened.
6. Arrange lettuce leaves on salad plates and top each serving with even portions of first the quinoa mixture, then the onion, then the tomato, and remaining 1/4 cup of salsa for individual servings. Yields six servings.
This salad has all the ingredients you love in your favorite Mexican dishes. Quinoa takes the nutrition and flavor up a big notch, PLUS you get all your protein without adding meat. Yes, quinoa and black beans are a complete protein source. Make this for your family and wait for the oooohs and aaaaahs! You (and they!) won't be disappointed.