Minty Chocolate Dipped Cookies
*1/2 C flour
*1/4 tsp baking soda
*3 TBSP + 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
*1/4 tsp salt
*4 TBSP unsalted butter, room temperature
*6 TBSP sugar
*1 small egg, well beaten
*1/4 tsp vanilla extract
*1 1/2 C semisweet chocolate chips
*2 TBSP solid shortening
*1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1. Pour the flour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the baking soda and cocoa powder.
3. Whisk the salt into mixture.
4. In a separate bowl place the butter and sugar.
5. Break the egg into the mixture.
6. Pour in the vanilla and beat until just combined.
7. Up the mixer speed to medium and beat 30 seconds.
8. Add the flour to the butter mixture.
9. Beat on low speed just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
10. Place the dough into a piece of plastic wrap and secure well.
11. Refrigerate the dough no less than 4 hours.
12. Set the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
13. Place parchment paper over a rimmed baking sheet.
14. Cut the chilled dough into 1/4 in. slices.
15. Place the slices 1/2 in. apart on the baking sheet.
16. Bake 8 minutes or until firm.
17. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack.
18. Put the chocolate chips into a microwavable bowl.
19. Add the shortening to the bowl.
20. Pour the peppermint extract into the mixture.
21. Microwave on 30 seconds or until the shortening is no longer solid.
22. Stir the mixture until it is smooth.
23. Place one cookie at a time into the chocolate mixture turning to coat well.
24. Let the cookies cool until the chocolate is set.
I'm always looking for an excuse to dip cookies in chocolate. This seems like a pretty good one right here! The combination of mint and chocolate is always welcome, but never more so than when you bite into a crunchy cookie inside. This is a fun cookie to get the kids to help with. They'll be more than happy to dip the cookies into the bowl of chocolate - especially when they get to lick their fingers!