Nutty Apple Coffee Cake
* 1 3/4 C sugar plus 1 C sugar
* 3 eggs
* 2 C of flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 C nuts (your choice), chopped and divided
* 1 C canola oil
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 3 tbsp cinnamon plus 2 tsp. cinnamon
* 3 C apples (your favorite), chopped
* 1/4 C butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9X13 cake pan with a non stick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl put the 1 3/4 cup of sugar, eggs, canola oil, and vanilla extract in and mix together.
3. Add the flour and stir until completely moistened.
4. Stir in the baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
5. Blend in the apples and 1/2 C of the chopped nuts.
6. Spread the batter evenly into the pan.
7. Mix together 1 C of sugar, 2 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 C chopped nuts in a bowl.
8. Stir the melted butter into the bowl.
9. Pour the mixture over the entire top of the cake batter.
10. Bake 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Cut into squares and serve.
You can throw a prepackaged coffee cake in the oven in the morning for a nice treat... or you can mix up a batch of homemade coffee cake for a REALLY nice treat. This recipe goes together pretty fast and it fills the house with that wonderful cinnamon roll aroma that we all love.
Don't save this coffee cake for a special occasion - make it for your family on any old morning and surprise the heck out of them!