Nutty Cheese & Fruit Casserole
* 2 sweet apples, peeled and chopped
* 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and chopped
* 1/2 C brown sugar
* 1/3 C Cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1/3 C walnuts, chopped
* 1/3 C butter flavored crackers, crushed
* 1/4 C butter
* 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp cloves, ground
* 1/2 tsp baking powder
* 2 tbsp. liquid non-dairy creamer
1. Put the apples, oranges, brown sugar, cheese and walnuts in a large bowl.
2. Toss together until all ingredients are mixed well.
3. Lightly spray a 9X13 casserole dish with a non stick cooking spray.
4. Spread the fruit out evenly in the casserole dish.
5. Cover the top of the fruit with the crushed crackers.
6. In a saucepan over medium heat melt the butter then whisk in the flour.
7. Whisk the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and baking powder into the butter
8. Pour the mixture over the top of the fruit and crackers.
9. Drizzle the liquid creamer over the top.
10. Set the temperature of the oven to 325 degrees.
11. Tightly cover the casserole with aluminum foil.
12. Put in the preheated oven and bake 55 minutes.
13. Take from oven and stir to mix the crust through out the casserole if you desire.
Traditional Apple Brown Betty on the holiday table is beautiful and elegant. But, if you want a bit of a surprise, this casserole certainly will fit the bill! The oranges give this dessert brightens up the flavor.