1. Whisk together in a glass bowl the egg yolks, salt, and mustard until light and frothy.
2. Put one drop of oil in bowl and whisk vigorously, then put in another drop and whisk vigorously again. Keep adding oil one drop at a time, whisking all the time, until mixture thickens.
3. Then continue drizzling in the oil at a slow stream, whisking continuously, until oil is incorporated and mixture is emulsified.
4. Whisk in the vinegar now until blended well; start with 1 tablespoon and add more if needed to get the consistency you want.
5. Pour into a tightly sealed jar and store in refrigerator until needed. This will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator.
Homemade mayonnaise is perfect anytime a recipe depends on the creamy flavors of mayonnaise and only a few more ingredients. For instance, if you make a club sandwich or BLT, you want each flavor to stand out. This is also a good base for creamy salad dressings. Add some fresh herbs and bleu cheese and you have a veggie dip.
It's not difficult to make mayonnaise from scratch once you get the hang of it. Be sure to drop the oil in slowly to begin and your mayonnaise will turn out just fine.