Old Fashioned Scalloped Corn
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 3 tbsp butter, divided
* 2 tbsp flour
* 1 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp paprika
* 1 (14.75 oz) can cream style corn
* 1 (15.25 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained well
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 C crushed buttered crackers
1. In a skillet over medium heat melt 2 tbsp of the butter completely.
2. Stir in the onions covering them well with the butter.
3. Cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions are just beginning to brown.
4. Stir in the flour until completely combined.
5. Add in the salt, nutmeg and paprika stirring to blend them in well.
6. Stir in both cans of corn and mix well.
7. Quickly add the egg whisking as you add.
8. Whisk in the baking powder and remove the skillet from the heat.
9. Grease a 2 qt casserole with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter.
10. Place the corn mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
11. Cover the entire top of the casserole with the crushed crackers.
12. Bake in a 350 degree oven 30 minutes or until the casserole begins to bubble.
This is Grandma's scalloped corn, or at least as close as we could get. The nutmeg makes this recipe stand out from the everyday dish that we all know. This dish is definitely Holiday Meal perfect!