Raid the Pantry Beef & Cabbage Skillet
(Raid-the-Pantry Beef & Cabbage Skillet)
* 1 lb lean ground beef
* 1/2 cup diced onion
* 1 cup shredded cabbage (use bagged cole slaw mix if desired)
* 1 cup long grain rice, not cooked
* 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
* 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
* 2 1/2 cups water (try substituting chicken broth for extra flavor, but cut back on the additional salt)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (reduce if using chicken broth)
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon thyme
* 1 bay leaf
* dash Worchestershire sauce (optional)
1. Brown ground beef and onion in large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients to skillet and mix well. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes or until rice is done, stirring occasionally.
3. You will need to watch to make sure there is enough liquid for the rice to fully cook. Add more liquid if necessary; either water or chicken broth.
The only mistake I've made with this recipe is I keep skimping on the cabbage. Be sure to add a GOOD FULL CUP of cabbage so it doesn't disappear in the cooking.
A little dash of Worchestershire sauce is optional but really seems to perk up the flavors nicely. Don't be afraid to add whatever you've got... that's why it's called "Raid the Pantry". Enjoy!