* 3 lb ham
* 1 1/2 tsp salt, divided
* 4 C dried tart apples
* 3 Tbsp of brown sugar
* 1 onion, chopped fine
* 2 C of flour
* 4 tsp baking powder
* 1/2 tsp pepper
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
* 1/2 C milk
1. Sprinkle 1 tsp salt on ham in a large soup pot and cover completely with cold water.
2. Over high heat bring the water to a steady boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
3. Meanwhile, soak the dried apples in water for 2 hours.
4. After the apples are done soaking, add the apples including the water to the ham.
5. Add the onions and brown sugar to the ham-apple pot and bring it to rapid boil again.
6. Turn heat to low and simmer, covered for 1-1/2 hours.
7. Sift together flour, baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
8. Mix in the egg and butter.
9. Slowly add milk but just enough to moisten, it will be stiff.
10. Bring the ham soup pot back to a boil.
11. Drop the batter by spoonfuls into the boiling water.
12. Cook the dumplings 20 minutes or until cooked through.