Perfect Pumpkin Yeast Rolls
* 1 (1/4 oz.) pkg. of active dry yeast
* 1/3 C sugar, divided
* 3/4 C milk, lukewarm
* 7 C of all-purpose flour
* 1 tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
* 1 large egg, slightly beaten
* 2 C of pumpkin puree
* 1 large egg yolk only
* 1 tbsp water
1. The yeast and 1 tsp of sugar is poured into the lukewarm milk in a small mixing bowl.
2. Cover the mixture and allow to rest 5 minutes or until it becomes foamy.
3. In a large mixing bowl put the flour, the remaining sugar, nutmeg and salt.
4. The butter pieces are added and mixed with an electric mixer using low speed until the mixture is coarse.
5. Add the egg and fold in the pumpkin puree.
6. The yeast mixture is added and with your hands, work the mixture until a soft dough forms.
7. On a flat lightly floured surface put the dough and kneed for 8 minutes or until it has an elastic but smooth texture.
8. If necessary add flour a little at a time to keep the dough from sticking to the surface.
9. Butter a large bowl on the bottom and up the sides.
10. The dough is formed into a ball and put in the buttered bowl completely coating the dough with butter.
11. Allow the dough to rise to twice its size in the covered bowl this take about 1 hour.
12. The dough is divided into 12 pieces.
13. A spring form pan is well buttered.
14. The dough pieces are placed in the buttered pan and covered and placed in a warm area and let rise for 45 minutes.
15. In a small bowl whisk the egg yolk and water together.
16. The dough pieces are brushed all over with the egg wash.
17. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until a light golden brown.
This recipe takes time (you have to let the dough rise) but it is well worth it. If you're having a house full of friends and family for a holiday meal, these rolls will make a real hit. You'll never buy prepackaged rolls again.