1. Put the ground beef in a Dutch oven pot and brown over medium heat, breaking the beef up as it browns.
2. Stir in the broth, vegetables, diced tomatoes and tomato juice, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. When mixture comes to a boil, stir in the pasta, cover pot, and reduce heat immediately to low.
4. Simmer for 8 to 10 minutes or until the pasta and vegetables are fork tender.
5. Remove from heat and stir in the pesto.
6. Let sit for 2 minutes, then serve.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
This soup is very tasty and so easy to make! You can use any vegetable you want. I like to use Italian style green beans for more of a 'minestrone' style soup, or frozen corn is good, too. A simple bag of mixed frozen vegetables is a good solution to change the soup to suit the kids.
I keep basil pesto on hand to add great flavor in a variety of dishes. It's a very easy trick when you can't decide what spices to use. Pesto also has a nice olive oil finish which is perfect for savory soups and pasta dishes.