1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare the muffin tin by coating the cups with a non-stick cooking spray or line cups with paper baking cups.
3. Pour the flour and 2 C of sugar into a large mixing bowl.
4. Sprinkle in the pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and the salt.
5. Toss the ingredients together being sure to mix well. Set aside.
6. In a separate bowl, pour the egg whites and beat just slightly with a fork.
7. Pour the canola oil into the egg whites and gently stir to incorporate.
8. Gently fold the pumpkin and apples into the egg white mixture, being sure the apples pieces are coated well.
9. Pour the moist ingredients into the dry ingredients and, using a rubber spatula, mix all the ingredients together being sure to just moisten and not over mix.
10. Fill each muffin cup with batter about 2/3 full.
11. Bake 23 - 25 minutes or the muffins are a golden brown.
12. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, toss together the 1 C sugar and the 1 tsp. cinnamon until combined well.
13. Remove the muffins from the oven and while still hot cover the tops with the cinnamon sugar.
14. Allow to cool just a little bit before serving.