Pumpkin Squares with Crunchy Pecan Topping
* 1/2 C butter, room temperature
* 1 C brown sugar, packed firm
* 1 1/2 C all purpose flour
* 1 C old fashioned oats
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp salt, divided
* 2 C of pumpkin puree
* 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
* 2 eggs, slightly beaten
* 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
* 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 C pecans, coarsely chopped
1. In a large mixing bowl add the margarine and brown sugar.
2. With an electric mixer on low speed beat together until creamy.
3. Add the flour, oats, baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.
4. With a wooden spoon mix the above ingredients until it becomes coarse.
5. Set aside 1/2 cup of the above mixture to use later.
6. The rest of the mixture is pressed in an un-greased jellyroll pan.
7. Bake the crust 18 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
8. Take from oven and set aside but leave the oven on.
9. In another large bowl put the pumpkin puree, milk and the beaten egg and mix well.
10. The other 1/2 tsp salt, spice and vanilla are added and combine well.
11. The mixture is spread over the baked crust.
12. The pecans are stirred into the 1/2 cup of the reserved coarse mixture.
13. The above coarse mixture is spread over the pumpkin mixture.
14. Put in preheated oven and bake 30 minutes.
15. Let cool before slicing.
Crunchy, sweet, chewy and delicious. Okay, just one last thing. If you have a can of whipped topping, go ahead and add a dollop to your slice before digging in!