Pumpkin Streusel Muffins
* 2 C baking mix + 1 TBSP baking mix
* 1/4 C sugar + 2 TBSP sugar
* 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
* 1/2 tsp. cinnamon + Ż tsp. cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. ginger
* 2 eggs whites
* 1/2 C canned pumpkin
* 1/2 C milk
* 2 tsp. butter, cold and broken up
1. Set the oven temperature at 400 degrees.
2. Spray a muffin tin with a non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin cups.
3. In a large mixing bowl sift the 2 C baking mix and 1/4 C sugar together. Toss with a rubber spatula if not mixed together well.
4. Sprinkle in the 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, the ginger and the nutmeg and mix well to combine the ingredients together.
5. In a separate bowl, place the egg whites and beat slightly.
6. Carefully add the pumpkin and milk to the egg whites. and stir the ingredients together until very smooth and creamy.
7. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just moistened. Batter should remain slightly lumpy.
8. Fill each muffin cup not quite all the way to the top.
9. For the streusel, mix together in another bowl the 2 TBSP sugar, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon until thoroughly combined.
10. With a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the butter until the mixture becomes crumbly.
11. Sprinkle the mixture on top of each of the batter filled muffin cups.
12. Bake 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
13. Be sure not to over cook these muffins as it will make them a little tough.
14. Cool slightly before serving.
I have a lot of really good pumpkin muffins that I like to bake, but, oh my goodness... the crunchy streusel topping on these muffins make them a real winner. These are 'dessert worthy' in my book! Enjoy!