Quinoa Risotto With Spinach And Goat Cheese
* 1 1/2 cups quinoa
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1 sweet onion, chopped fine
* 4 cloves fresh garlic
* 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
* 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 1 lb fresh spinach
* 4 oz goat cheese
* Parmesan, lemon zest, and parsley for garnish
1. Rinse quinoa in a metal sieve until water runs clear.
2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and sautÚ spinach until tender, then set aside.
3. Heat olive oil and butter over medium heat, then add onion and sautÚ until tender.
4. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
5. Add wine, quinoa, and cayenne pepper and simmer until wine is almost evaporated, stirring frequently.
6. Add enough broth to cover quinoa and cook uncovered over medium low heat for about fifteen minutes. Add more broth a ladle at a time as the liquid absorbs, stirring frequently.
7. Stir in spinach during the last two minutes of cooking time.
8. Remove from heat and stir in 3 ounces of goat cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
9. Sprinkle parsley, Parmesan, lemon zest, and remaining goat cheese over the quinoa and serve immediately.
Risotto is actually a cooking style. In this recipe, you use the 'risotto method' to cook the quinoa, which is simmering and adding liquid slowly to the quinoa, stirring, and adding more liquid a ladle at a time, until the quinoa is tender.
Quinoa can be a main dish as well as a side dish because it's loaded with enough protein to be a substitute for meat. Of course you can serve this as a side dish with meats, poultry, or fish. Serve it also as a luncheon dish. It's very versatile, to be sure!