Rich Moist Pumpkin Cake
* 2 1/2 C flour
* 2 tsp orange zest, grated
* 1 tsp baking soda
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp ginger
* 1/2 C butter
* 1 1/2 C brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 3/4 C buttermilk
* 1/2 C pumpkin puree
* 1/4 C molasses
* Powdered sugar
1. In a large mixing bowl put the flour and orange zest.
2. Mix the baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger into the flour.
3. Beat the butter with an electric mixture until soft.
4. Beat in the brown sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition.
6. Place the buttermilk into a separate bowl.
7. Mix the pumpkin puree and molasses into the milk.
8. Place 1/4 of the flour mixture is into the butter mixture and blend.
9. Place 1/4 of the buttermilk mixture into the butter mixture and blend.
10. Keep alternating in this manner until all the ingredients are mixed together.
11. Generously spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
12. Spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.
13. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
14. Cool the cake slightly and sprinkle with the powdered sugar. (option: make cream cheese frosting)
Molasses and buttermilk are key to the success of this recipe. There are so many flavors to this cake that make it different from other recipes, like ginger and orange zest, you won't know which to choose as your favorite flavor... but then, you don't have to! Just enjoy!