Ricotta Cheese Buttermilk Flapjacks
*1 C all purpose flour
*3/4 tsp. baking powder
*3/4 tsp. baking soda
*1/4 tsp. nutmeg
*2 eggs, separated
*1 C buttermilk
*2/3 C whole milk ricotta cheese
*1 TBSP grated lemon peel
*1 TBSP canola oil
1. Dump the flour into a mixing bowl.
2. Add the baking powder and soda to the flour.
3. Toss in the nutmeg and mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
4. Place the egg yolks into a medium size bowl.
5. Pour the buttermilk into the egg yolks.
6. Add in the ricotta cheese and lemon peel.
7. Whisk the ingredients together well.
8. Fold the mixture into the flour just until combined.
9. Place the egg whites in a small bowl.
10. Beat with an electric mixer on medium high speed until soft peaks form.
11. Fold this into the buttermilk mixture.
12. Pour the oil into a skillet.
13. Position the skillet over medium heat and allow the oil to become hot.
14. Pour 1/4 C of the batter into the hot oil.
15. Cook 2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form around the edges.
16. Flip and cook 1 more minute or until a golden brown.
Save this recipe for a lazy weekend morning when you want to feed your family a filling breakfast. These flapjacks are not your ordinary pancakes! Be ready to experience a little extra flavor of the cheese and buttermilk. This breakfast will definitely stick with you throughout your day!