* 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1 inch chunks
* 2 tsp. salt, divided
* 1 1/2 tsp. four peppercorn blend or 1 tsp. black peppercorns, coarsely crushed
* 2 1/2 lbs. beef eye of round
* 2 TBSP olive oil, preferably extra virgin, divided
* 1 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
* 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs discarded, and cut into 1 Ż inch chunks
* 2 TBSP kitchen workhorse pesto or store bought pesto
1. Place the eggplant in a colander and toss with one tsp of salt.
2. Place the colander over a bowl and let the eggplant set for 1 hour.
3. Rinse the eggplant.
4. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a skillet over medium heat.
5. Place the peppercorn and salt into a small bowl and blend together.
6. Rub the mixture all over the eye of round.
7. Add the meat to the hot oil.
8. Cook 10 minutes being sure all sides are brown.
9. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
10. Oil a roasting pan big enough to hold the eye of round.
11. Place the egg plant, potatoes, red pepper and onions together in a large bowl.
12. Toss with remaining oil to coat.
13. Place vegetables around the meat in the roasting pan.
14. Bake until the center of the meat reaches 130 degrees on a meat thermometer.
15. Remove meat and allow to stand 10 to 15 minutes before cutting.
16. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees.
17. Cook vegetables until tender about 15 minutes.
18. Stir in the pesto.
19. Serve the vegetables as a side dish to the meat.