Saucy Grilled Meatball & Bell Pepper Kabobs
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 C yellow onion, chopped fine
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 tbsp curry powder
* 1 tsp cumin, ground
* 1 tsp ginger
* 1 (28 oz.) can plum tomatoes, undrained
* 1 tbsp light brown sugar, packed firm
* 2 tsp salt, divided
* 1 tsp pepper, divided
* 6 tbsp bread crumbs, fine
* 1/2 C cold water
* 2 large eggs
* 2 lbs ground turkey or lamb
* 2 tbsp jalapeno peppers, minced
* 2 green peppers, cleaned and cut into 1 inch pieces
1. In large, heavy skillet over medium heat, heat oil, add onion and cook 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add the curry powder, cumin, and ginger and cook 1 minute longer.
4. Set one half of the mixture aside for dipping.
5. Put the canned tomatoes in blender and set to puree.
6. Add the pureed tomatoes to the ingredients in the skillet and stir to combine.
7. Stir in the brown sugar, half the salt and half the pepper.
8. Bring the mixture to a steady boil then reduce the heat to low.
9. Cover and simmer 30 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
10. In a large bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the cold water and let sit for 5 minutes, then stir in the egg until well blended.
11. In the bowl with the bread crumbs/egg mixture, add the ground meat, jalapeno peppers, and the skillet ingredients.
12. Mix in the remaining salt and pepper until completely combined.
13. Form the mixture into meatballs, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
14. To assemble, alternate back and forth and thread the meatballs and pepper pieces onto skewers.
15. Brush both the meatballs and pepper pieces with additional oil.
16. Heat the grill to medium high heat.
17. Grill the kabobs 4 minutes, turn and continue grilling an additional 4 minutes or until the meat has cooked through.
I have used both ground turkey and ground lamb for this recipe, because sometimes ground lamb is difficult to find. Either one works just fine. The directions might seem somewhat tedious at first, but the meatballs actually go together quite easily, and the resulting flavor is fabulous. Well worth the effort!