1. Put oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Add the shallots and ginger and cook until shallots are soft, about 4 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the cleaned cranberries, sugar, red wine vinegar, and water and bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat immediately and simmer slowly for about 10 to 15 minutes, stirring often. The berries will soften and split and the mixture will thicken.
4. Add salt and pepper, taste, adjust, and remove from heat.
5. This may be served at room temperature or chilled in the refrigerator.
This is an excellent sauce for grilled pork, roast chicken, turkey, or other meats. I'm a big fan of cranberries and ginger, so the combination is perfect for me!
I don't always have red wine vinegar in my cupboard, so I'll substitute apple cider vinegar and it will be just fine. White vinegar is a little harsh, so try to use something more mild. Even a balsamic vinaigrette mixed with a little white wine works. You just need something to impart tanginess and depth of flavor into the sauce.