Savory Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin Shells
* 2 small whole pumpkins
* 4 tbsp sugar
* 6 tbsp Tamari sauce, divided
* 1 C of water
* 1/4 C raisins
* 1/4 C apricots, chopped
* 1 tart apple, chopped
* 1/2 C walnuts, chopped
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 1 white onion, chopped
* 1 red onion, chopped
* 1 (15 oz.) can corn, drained
* 1 green pepper, chopped
* 1 red pepper, chopped
* 1 small yellow squash, chopped
* 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
* 2 C brown rice, cooked
* 1/4 tsp mace
* 1/4 tsp turmeric
* 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Wash both pumpkins, cut out the tops and clean out the seeds.
2. In a small mixing bowl combine the sugar and 2 tbsp Tamari sauce.
3. The inside of the pumpkins are coated with the mixture.
4. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees at this time.
5. In a large baking pan put the water.
6. The pumpkins are put in the pan and the tops replaced.
7. Completely cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake in the preheated oven 18 minutes or until the inside of the pumpkin begins to tender when pricked with a fork.
9. In a large mixing bowl put the raisins, apricots, apples and walnuts and mix together.
10. Mix in the celery, onions, corn, peppers, squash, mace and turmeric.
11. The cooked rice is carefully folded in.
12. Mix in the remaining 4 tbsp of Tamari sauce/
13. On the inside of both pumpkins sprinkle the cinnamon and be sure to cover them well.
14. The vegetable mixture is divided between the two pumpkins and the tops replace on the pumpkins.
15. If necessary add more water to the baking pan to ensure the bottom is completely covered.
16. Put in oven and bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
17. Before serving stir to mix the pumpkin pulp into the stuffing mixture.
Even though this is considered a side dish, it can also be a really incredible main dish for folks who are vegetarian. When planning your holiday meals, keep this recipe in mind for your vegetarian guests or for any special luncheon or other lighter meal. The presentation is gorgeous and the flavors are very complex. Truly a masterpiece as your meal's centerpiece!