Seafood Soup from Beyond the Seashore
* 1/2 C olive oil
* 1 clove garlic, chopped fine
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 green pepper, chopped
* 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
* 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
* 1 3/4 C burgundy
* 1 TBSP parsley
* 2 tsp. oregano
* 1/2 tsp. basil
* 2 tsp. salt
* 1/4 tsp. pepper
* 3/4 C water
* 1 1/2 lb halibut steaks cut into 1 in pieces
* 1/2 raw shrimp, shelled and de-veined
* 2 (6 oz) pkgs. frozen crab meat, thawed
* Aluminum foil
1. Put the olive oil in a Dutch oven.
2. Set over medium heat and allow the oil to heat up but donít let it smoke.
3. Sprinkle the garlic and onions around in the oil.
4. Cook 3 minutes.
5. Add the green pepper and continue to cook 8 minutes or until fork tender.
6. Stir in the diced tomatoes.
7. Add the tomato paste and stir to incorporate into the mixture.
8. Carefully add the burgundy stirring while adding.
9. Sprinkle in the parsley, oregano, basil, salt and the pepper.
10. Stir to combine all the ingredients together well.
11. Carefully pour in the water and bring the mixture to a quick boil.
12. Once boiling add the halibut, shrimp and crabmeat.
13. Reduce the stove temperature to low.
14. Cover the pan with a snug fitting lid.
15. Cook 20 minutes.
16. Remove the lid and continue cooking on low heat for another 10 minutes.
17. Turn off the heat and allow the soup to set until cooled to room temperature.
18. Place a piece of aluminum foil in a large container big enough to hold the soup.
19. Be sure the aluminum foil extends out of the side of the bowl at least 6 inches.
20. Place the soup into the bowl and cover tightly with extended aluminum foil.
21. Freeze the soup until firm.
22. Remove the bowl from the freezer and remove the aluminum covered soup from the bowl.
23. Wrap again with more aluminum foil.
24. Soup can be frozen in this manner and stay fresh for up to 6 months.
25. To reheat remove from the freezer and remove the aluminum foil.
26. Place the frozen soup back in the Dutch oven.
27. Add 1 C of water.
28. Set stove temperature to low.
29. Cover with a snug fitting lid and cook 1 to 2 hours or until completely heated through.