* 1 lb beef short ribs
* 2 quarts cold water
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon celery salt
* 1 cup chopped onion
* 1 cup chopped carrots
* 1/2 cup chopped celery
* 2 cups cubed potatoes
* 1 can (16 oz) whole kernel corn, not drained
* 1 can (16 oz) diced tomatoes, not drained
* 2 turnips, peeled and chopped
1. Put the meat in crock pot. Add water, salt, celery salt, onion, carrots and celery.
2. Cook, covered, on low for 5-6 hours.
3. Take out the meat and bones. Cut the meat up and throw out the bones. Return the meat to crock pot.
4. Add the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook another 3 hours, this time on high.
When I'm looking for a frugal meal, which seems to be most of the time, short ribs are a great choice. They are inexpensive, which means they need to be cooked for a long time on a low heat. This crock pot stew is perfect for a short rib meal. The potatoes and turnips get nice and flavorful swimming in the thick stew. I like to use a Yukon Gold potato because they stand up well in the cooking and they're a beautiful golden color. This is a pretty stew.