1) In large soup pot, heat the sunflower oil over medium heat and add lentils, stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
2) Add curry paste and stir.
3) Add boiling water and bring soup mixture to a boil.
4) Quickly reduce heat to low. When the soup slows down to a gentle simmer, cover the pot and let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring a few times.
5) Check to make sure the lentils are tender before removing from heat.
6) After taking pot off the burner, stir in the salt and pepper, taste and add more as needed.
7) Serve hot with a sprig of cilantro and a drizzle of coconut milk on top if desired.