1. Turn oven on to 350 degrees.
2. In a shallow dish combine the paprika, salt, cayenne pepper, cumin, thyme, pepper and onion powder. Be sure the ingredients are mixed together very well.
3. Gently pat both sides of the chicken breasts with the spices making sure to cover completely. Set aside.
4. Pour the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Heat the oil until very hot but do not allow it to smoke. Use good high heat oil like canola, olive oil, or peanut oil.
5. Place the chicken carefully into the hot oil. Do not over crowd your pan. Do in separate batches if necessary, removing browned chicken as they are done.
6. After 1 minute turn the chicken and cook for an additional 1 minute. This should brown both sides nicely.
7. Remove the chicken and place on a large baking sheet lightly sprayed with a non-stick cooking spray.
8. Bake the chicken for 11 - 12 minutes or until the juice runs clear when you cut into a piece.